- This event has passed.
HIPAA Privacy Rule Compliance-Understanding New Rules and Responsibilities of Privacy Officer
February 17 @ 11:00 am - February 18 @ 5:00 pm UTC-5
While the HIPAA rules have been in place for many years now, the focus of their application has recently changed as technologies and practices have changed, emergencies have been dealt with, and changes to the rules and guidance have occurred, and more changes are on the horizon. In addition, there are changes in other regulations that interact with HIPAA requirements, and that require consideration in your planning. This session will focus on understanding what are the challenges that a HIPAA Privacy Officer faces today, and what are the areas of HIPAA that have changed and are changing still. The session will discuss the latest topics of interest in detail and describe how they relate to the regulations and their enforcement today. Patient Rights and controls on uses and disclosures will be explored in depth, including an examination of how the rules work in emergency circumstances, and how they can be changed during declared emergencies.
This session is designed to provide intensive, two-day training in HIPAA Privacy Rule compliance designed for both the seasoned HIPAA professional as well as the individual newly appointed to the position of HIPAA Privacy Officer, covering:
- The foundations of HIPAA and how they relate to the issues of today
- Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification under HIPAA
- Changes in Rules, Technologies, and Practices that Impact HIPAA Compliance
- Patient Rights and Controls on Uses and Disclosures
- Managing Patient Communication Rights, Texting, and Telemedicine
- Considerations for Circumstances Such As Declared Emergencies
- New Guidance, Court Decisions, and Other Regulations Related to Personal Information
- Challenges with New Issues, such as insecure communications, Ransomware, and the E.U.’s GDPR
- Interactions with the SAMHSA 42 CFR Part 2 regulations on Information Relating to Substance Use Disorders
- Security Breaches and Ways to Prevent and Respond To Them
- Numerous references and sample documents will be provided.