Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer is primarily responsible for overseeing and managing compliance by establishing and monitoring plans, processes and systems designed to ensure that Waste Management, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries (the “Company”) and the Company’s employees are complying with: applicable international, federal, state and local statutory and regulatory requirements; and internal policies and procedures. The Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer is based in Houston, Texas and will report to the SVP & Chief Legal Officer.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Ensures that the organization (at all levels) is maintaining knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
- Develops an annual compliance work plan that monitors and addresses the Company’s highest compliance risks, including conducting annual enterprise-wide compliance risk assessments.
- Determines appropriate staffing for the compliance department; identifies and develops personnel resources in the compliance function.
- Develops a 3 and 5 year compliance strategic plan which will serve as a road map for the compliance function going forward.
- Provides guidance to the Board of Directors, Senior Management, and employees on compliance.
- Oversees and monitors the implementation and periodic revision of the compliance program.
- Develops policies and programs that encourage managers and employees to report suspected fraud, compliance violations and other improprieties without fear of retaliation.
- Develops, coordinates, and participates in a multifaceted educational and training program that focuses on the elements of the compliance program, and seeks to ensure that all appropriate employees and management are knowledgeable of, and comply with, applicable international, federal, state and local laws, regulations and rules.
- Develops materials at an institutional level for distribution to all employees to enhance awareness of compliance activities.
- Coordinates internal compliance review and monitoring activities, including periodic reviews of departments.
- Responds to government investigations and inquiries, either as the principal point of contact or in a supportive/monitoring role to a functional expert and/or legal personnel.
- Independently investigates and acts on matters related to compliance, including the flexibility to design and coordinate internal investigations (e.g., responding to reports of problems, helpline calls, or suspected violations) and any resulting corrective actions.
- Monitors external audit review processes, maintains awareness of compliance issues, and in conjunction with the Office of the Chief Legal Officer and Senior Management, responds to administrative inquiries related to compliance issues or audits.
- Provides leadership to other roles on the compliance team by coaching, clear communication, and relationship building.
- Prepares an annual budget and compliance plan.
- Builds relationships with key stakeholders & employees.
- Collaborates across departments to provide efficient work flow.
- Operationalize compliance within the organization.
- Evaluates and builds compliance team.
- Develops protocol and score-card to track progress.
- Assesses and audits the compliance program and protocol.
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of managerial employees. This includes:
- Direct supervision of 2 full-time employees;
- Indirect supervision of 8 full-time employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Bachelor’s degree (accredited) in a relevant subject matter
- (JD and/or graduate degree preferred.)
15 years of relevant experience (in addition to education requirement).
Preference will be given to candidates for the following additional experience:
- Experience in a Compliance Officer role, with greater importance placed on experience as a Chief Compliance Officer and/or Vice President of Compliance
- Experience in continually expanding responsibilities and leadership roles within compliance
- Environmental experience
- Waste industry experience
- Experience with, and knowledge of, FCPA
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations Or Other Requirements
- None required.
Other Knowledge, Skills Or Abilities Required
- Knowledge of state, federal, and international law, rules, and regulations governing compliance programs
- Experience in presenting and/or reporting to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors and/or the Board of Directors
- Experience in managing staff
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Click here to apply.Corporate Compliance Insights is a wholly owned subsidiary of Conselium Executive Search, the global leader in compliance search.