It is becoming increasingly important that leaders need be more proactive in their approach to the ethical considerations of their roles, power and influence on their people and respective organizations.
Here are few questions to help, at least, start ethical reflections on leadership and to be used as a springboard for more in depth discussions on the ethical roles of leadership.
1. What are specific ethical behaviors that are required of all leaders?
2. What are the consequences if they don’t behave ethically?
3. What are the situations that people encounter that could lead them into grey areas?
4. How should grey areas be handled?
5. How should people make decisions when they encounter difficult situations?
6. Where might leaders fall into grey areas while implementing our goals and values?
7. What are the areas that are non-negotiable?
8. What are the areas of acceptability?
9. Where do we need to clarify our mission and values, to make it clear that we are an ethical organization, and ethics are not negotiable?
10. How can we more effectively recruit, recognize and retain ethical leaders?
Sign up for our free weekly e-newsletter for more GRC articles, job postings, GRC events, white papers & more…..click here
Frank Bucaro is an ethics expert, who is a leading crusader-- speaking, training and writing-- on the benefits of ethics. He is a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) and has been inducted into the Council of Peers Award for Excellence (CPAE) Speaker Hall of Fame. Coming from a background in teaching, with a Master’s degree in Religious Studies, Frank’s career in business spans two decades with the message: not only is good ethics good business, it is also good for business. As an author of numerous articles on ethics and author of the book Trust Me! Insights into Ethical Leadership, Frank has developed unique and humorous insights into the challenges of taking the high road. He provides practical ideas to help with difficult decisions as well as strategies for combating the sometimes blurred lines between right and wrong. A member of the National Speakers Association, he has earned the designation of CSP which stands for Certified Speaking Professional. This award has been earned by less than 20% of the 3800 members of NSA. He was also presented with NSA’s prestigious CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame Award for excellence and professionalism, an award currently held by fewer than 200 people worldwide. He is President of Frank C. Bucaro & Associates, Inc. located in Bartlett, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. A few of the organizations that have invited Frank to speak include BP, the Canadian Pacific Railway, Caterpillar, ENMAX Energy, Fiserv Insurance Solutions, Global Compliance, the Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario, Merck, Talecris Biotherapeutics and RE/MAX International. You can reach Frank at 1-800-784-4476 or through his website www.frankbucaro.com. Follow Frank on his blog, Ethics Shmethics, and on Twitter at @FrankCBucaro. Frank is a monthly columnist for CCI. For a complete list of his articles, follow this link.