Responsible for the Texas Region of PSJH / Covenant Health system’s multi-site risk management activities, which include but may not be limited to: The development, planning, coordination and administration of a systematic program designed to reduce risk and injury. Supports TPA in claims management activities, assists defense counsel in discovery, provides information to SJHS risk finance for insurance renewal, managing risk management staff, managing and analyzing risk management data, developing and conducting risk management educational programs, complying with risk management related standards by TJC other accrediting and regulatory agencies with the objective of promoting patient safety, enhancing quality care, and minimizing loss to protect the assets of the ministry. This position reviews, formulates, and implements policy and organizational changes related to risk, performing within general programmatic authority.
- Responsible for all identified outcome measures as denoted on
- Plans and implements a facility-wide program for both loss
prevention and loss control, and a comprehensive orientation
program; those programs will be directed to all current and
future employees, members of the board, and physicians to advise
them of their responsibilities, obligations, and part in the
facility’s risk management program.
- Trends and analyzes risk management performance measures and
reports trended data to the governing body and the appropriate
committees, departments and individuals.
- Serves as FEMA consultant/process expert.
- Conducts risk identification, investigation, intervention,
education, and mitigation activities.
- Development and implementation of a comprehensive Risk Management
- Reviews and revises the Risk Management Program at least
- Serve as liaison with third party administrator and SJHS System
office for the purpose of reporting potential claims, including
but not limited to, professional liability, general liability,
property and auto damage.
- Liaison with attorneys for discovery and coordinating
- Collaborates with Quality improvement and Accreditation
departments in matters related to regulatory compliance, policy
planning and implementation.
- Educates managers and staff regarding risk management issues.
- Analyzes, evaluates, and communicates pattern and trends of
professional and comprehensive general liability claims
experience to the administrative and medical staff.
- Minimizes risk by responding to all regulatory/insurance survey
- Complies with various codes, laws, rules and regulations
concerning patient care/safety, including those mandated by
state and federal agencies, incident reporting, also includes
the investigation activities of federal, state, and location
- Assists Administration in the review of contracts (i.e. third
party payers and student affiliations) to ensure that the
language and insurance coverage protects the facility from
- Provide risk management information on medical and allied health
staff to Medical Staff Services for use in credentialing
- Prepares department operational budget with minimal supervision.
- Exercise creative approaches to problem solving. Deals with
conflict and problematic situations in and open and tactful
manner respecting the dignity of the individual(s).
Minimum Position Qualifications
Education: Masters Degree in nursing, other healthcare related field, or JD.
Experience: Ten years experience with progressively responsible experience in hospital risk management, to include budgeting, staffing and supervision of personnel.
Preferred Position Qualifications
- Current RN license from the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners
Covenant Health is celebrating nearly 100 years of serving Lubbock and our South Plains region. As the oldest and largest health system in Lubbock and the region, we currently employ over 5,200 people with a medical staff of over 600 physicians.
For nearly 100 years, Covenant has been driven by a mission of providing a Christian ministry of healing and caring for the whole person – mind, body and spirit. Our vision and differentiator is we are the only faith-based, integrated health network in the West Texas/eastern New Mexico region dedicated to a Christian ministry of healing.
As an expression of our mission, we believe we hold an important Covenant with our patients and try and treat every interaction as Sacred Encounters.
Our ministry includes six hospitals with over 1,100 licensed beds:
Covenant Medical Center – CMC
Covenant Plainview – PLV
Covenant Levelland – LVL
Trustpoint (joint venture: Rehab Hospital of Lubbock)
Covenant Medical Group (CMG)
Covenant Health Partners
Hospice of Lubbock
Covenant Health’s total service area includes 25 counties that covers most of West Texas and eastern New Mexico. The service area covers approximately 750,000 people and approximately 35,000 square miles.
Covenant / St. Joseph Health (SJH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Covenant / St. Joseph Health (SJH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Positions specified as “on call, per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Click here to apply.