- This event has passed.
Early Completion Schedules – Benefits, Risks & Defenses
November 14, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am CST$110
A contractor’s right to complete work early was acknowledged by U.S. Courts in the 1940’s. As a result, delayed early completion claims became much more common in the 1960’s. It was then, and remains now, a controversial issue in the construction industry with many project owners refusing to accept early completion baseline schedules. Others crafted contractual mechanisms prevent or defeat such claims.
The purpose of this webinar is to set forth the background concerning a contractor’s right to complete work early and examine the contractor’s right to seek an equitable adjustment should their early completion be delayed by action of the owner. The webinar identifies the potential benefits and risks for both owners and contractors. Additionally, this webinar provides a brief overview of several different ways owners can defend against claims oriented early completion schedules.
Why should you Attend
- Understand the background of the contractor’s right to complete work earlier than required under the contract
- Gain information on what is an early completion schedule and why some contractors use them on projects
- Learn how to review early completion schedules and determine if they are legitimate schedules or claims oriented schedules
- Learn about early completion delay claims and what contractors must prove to recover damages
- Gain information about the contractor’s perceived advantages for creating and submitting an early completion schedule
- Discover 12 ways an owner to avoid claims oriented early completion schedules
Areas Covered in the Session
- Learn about the two forms of early completion schedules common on construction sites
- Understand how and why early completion schedules are constructed
- Explore the issue of whether a contractor is obligated to inform an owner of their planned early completion
- Review some recent U.S. court decisions concerning early completion schedules
- Be exposed to the pros and cons of having an early completion schedule on your project
Who Will Benefit
- Owners and Owner representatives Managing Capital improvement Projects
- Contractor Executives, Project Managers, Project Sponsors and Project Control Personnel
- Construction Managers and Design Professionals Performing services during Construction
- Attorneys representing Owners, Contractors, Construction Managers & Design Professionals performing services during Construction