The Director of Marketplace Compliance leads vision and strategy for several global teams within our Trust & Safety Organization. These teams keep Etsy and our community safe by monitoring and detecting brand, financial, legal and compliance risks through a combination of automated systems, machine learning, and human review.
As the Director of Marketplace Compliance, you are critical to Etsy’s success. You will set the strategy and inspiring long-term vision for your organization, support the managers as they lead their teams to bring the vision to life, and represent Marketplace Compliance within the broader company. Your team’s work is woven through almost all of Etsy’s initiatives, you will help your partners across the company build successful products by anticipating and identifying marketplace risks, and strategizing on solutions to mitigate those risks.
This role reports to the Sr. Director of Trust & Safety and is based in our Brooklyn HQ office.
About The Role
- Your organization includes Risk Operations, Marketplace Integrity, Legal Response and Enforcement and Vetting. Each of these teams is responsible for enforcing our buyer and seller policies.
- Tactically, you manage 4 managers with teams spanning our Brooklyn, Hudson NY, and Dublin Ireland teams.
- Our Risk Operations Team reviews new sellers for KYC requirements, transactions for suspected credit card fraud or money laundering, represents chargebacks, and works as the front line against Account Takeover.
- Marketplace Integrity builds automated systems as well as human processes to detect violations of our seller policies and the law. This team helps us maintain a healthy marketplace by quickly and efficiently removing prohibited items and policy violations.
- Legal Response and Enforcement handles intellectual property takedown notices and infringement concerns, as well as other legal topics including GDPR/privacy inquiries, and requests for information.
- The Vetting team supports Etsy’s marketing initiatives by making sure that shops being promoted are excellent representatives of the Etsy brand. This means that we scrub them to confirm that they comply with our policies and the law, and that they are ready for the additional volume the feature may bring them.
- 8+ years of compliance experience, including experience managing finance, e-commerce, or platform compliance teams desirable.
- You have expertise in managing broad compliance workflows including: KYC, AML, DMCA, COPPA, GDPR/privacy, Intellectual Property, and OFAC/sanctions. Compliance certifications a plus (e.g., CFE, ACAMS)..
- You have expertise detecting and mitigating against online fraud risks.
- You have experience developing and overseeing control systems to prevent or deal with violations of legal guidelines and internal policies, as well as evaluating the efficiency of those controls, building a culture of continuous improvement.
- You possess good judgment and executive presence and have experience clearly articulating risk, and strategies to mitigate risk, to executives, boards and regulators.
- You are a people person and naturally engage cross-functional partners to collaborate and drive better outcomes. Your role will be working closely with other teams including Legal, Finance, Policy, Internal Audit, etc, and you are comfortable with matrixed partnerships.
- You’re a strong critical thinker and have data driven analytical abilities – you have experience analyzing compliance workflows and you know how to use data to find gaps and improve processes..
- You stay current on emerging fraud risks and have the ability to adjust or implement controls, as necessary.
- You have experience procuring and overseeing third party compliance tools and resources
- You are adaptable and resilient in nature and quickly pivot – and bring your team along for the ride – as the business and regulatory risk landscape evolves.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Click here to apply.