We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
Manage environmental compliance at United Airlines’ hubs, stations, and maintenance facilities in coordination with the operating divisions of Tech Ops and Airport Ops and in collaboration with the other Environmental Affairs Directors (EN Directors). Effectively and efficiently direct team to manage environmental projects at the station / facility level including regular visits to key stations and facilities throughout the system to strengthen team relationships and relations with station and facility leadership teams. Develop relationships with station and Division leaders to enhance collaboration between Environmental Affairs and station /facility teams. Responsible for a robust compliance management function including providing oversight of compliance activities, advising leadership of compliance issues, and developing action plans to resolve matters.
- Manage environmental field compliance team of 15 environmental professionals, including development of both technical skills and leadership skills including professional development and performance. Develop budget and monitors use; and ensures team aligns resources and priorities to highest risk matters.
- Regularly visit field teams to strengthen relationships, effectively manage team development, and provide support needed to team through building relationships business units.
- Responsible for directing and providing oversight of compliance associated with company’s operations across the system.
- Support the development of an integrated environmental management system that clearly delineates the role of the corporate environmental affairs staff and the responsibilities of station personnel and leadership.
- Ensure compliance with existing and emerging environmental regulations including through oversight/monitoring of the roles and responsibilities for other divisions (in collaboration with other Env Affairs Directors).
- Ensure leadership is informed of compliance issues and risks along with recommendations on how to address.
- Develop action plans to advance compliance improvements and to resolve outstanding issues through technical expertise, strategic thinking, and collaborative skills.
- Collaborate with others within Environmental Affairs to communicate environmental policies and procedures to operations.
- Support negotiations with airport authorities.
- Provide support to construction projects to obtain environmental clearances/permits, conduct due diligence, and ensure compliance with permits and mitigation plans.
- Prepare presentations and reports for leadership and regulatory agencies demonstrating progress and strategies relating to environmental projects.
- Support internal environmental auditing system including resolution of corrective actions.
- Assist with the development of programs to comply with emerging regulations and support development of company environmental policies, procedures, and associated employee training programs. Continuously improve our Environmental Management System.
- Anticipate the Company’s need to adapt to growing regulatory challenges and develop associated strategic plans.
- Support sustainability team with impact reduction initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences/policy or related area
- Minimum10 years of experience in environmental compliance
- Team or project management experience
- Strong technical knowledge of both environmental regulations and of environmental management systems
- Comfortable interpreting regulations and providing guidance
- Experience developing and maintaining an environmental compliance management system
- Experience in driving results in a collaborative, cross-business team environment
- Experience working with Company leadership, regulatory agency officials
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including to effectively present findings, recommendations, and risks
- Demonstrates strong people skills to ensure a high performing team and to build relationships across the company and externally
- Demonstrates strategic planning and strong organizational and budgeting skills
- Good judgment on work prioritization to apply greater resources and project management to higher risk issues
- Strong understanding of different risks associated with different compliance issues and good judgment on informing leadership and legal department
- Focuses on own continuing education including environmental compliance publications and participating in professional organizations
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Click here to apply.