The University of Kansas Health System is a world-class academic medical center and destination for complex care and diagnosis. We are driven by our commitment to service, to continuous improvement and to the highest degree of excellence. Every member of our team shares an unwavering commitment to put patients first. We offer a wide array of career opportunities, along with competitive pay and outstanding benefits. We invite you to join us as we continue to advance the power of academic medicine.
Position Summary/Career Interest
We currently have an opening for an Assistant Director of Billing Compliance
- Assists Director with directing transaction testing requested by Internal Audit or the Compliance Officer.
- Serve as the key resource for all incoming notifications regarding billing rules, regulations or regulatory issues.
- Serves as the primary billing guidance resource for Hospital Patient Financial Services
- Maintains a log of outstanding Medicare queries and follows queries through to completion.
- Effectively uses the appropriate financial concepts and tools to direct the analysis related financial decisions that support the achievement of short and longer-term institutional objectives.
- Researches billing issues related to the use of coding.
- Researches billing issues related to new services.
- Researches, leads and directs the implementation activities related to Hospital compliance with new electronic medical record system implementations, billing rules, regulations, laws and payor contractual requirements.
- Develops and maintains billing compliance policies.
- Proactively address any billing compliance issues that put the institution at financial (including lost revenue) risk. Develop and direct implementation of corrective action plans.
- Develop infrastructure and facilitate implementation of Medicare and Medicaid Bulletins, Medicare Local Medicare Review Policies, Billing newsletters, and other related regulations.
- Assist with the development of institutional policy related to the Hospital’s Charge Description Master.
- Proactively manage all aspects of the Hospital’s Charge Description Master.
- Directs hospital activities related to the preparation and response to Medicare notifications regarding non-compliance.
- Develop, implement and direct procedures to ensure that all appropriate personnel receive billing issue notifications.
- Provides recommendations to Director regarding Billing Compliance. Performs as a knowledgeable resource to Hospital departments in support of their understanding of billing and collection issues, inpatient access issues and non-managed care reimbursement issues.
- Facilitate activities to ensure the institution receives appropriate reimbursement from payors, while helping to ensure compliance with applicable billing regulations.
- Facilitate activities to ensure all Patient Financial Services (PFS) employees are acutely aware of and adequately trained to comply with Medicare/Medicaid billing regulations.
- Develop, implement, and direct regular PFS training sessions related to Billing Compliance.
- Develop, implement and subsequently direct the activities of a tool that allows appropriate managers to objectively measure staff knowledge of key compliance activities.
- Complies with Medicare/Medicaid rules and regulations.
- Serve as key Hospital resource for Medicare and Medicaid compliance issues
- Demonstrates knowledge of the mainframe systems, Epic pathways, Excel and Word.
- Maintains a high level of involvement in the day to day activities of areas of responsibility. Provides leadership presence and guidance through direction and role modeling.
- Maintains an Open Issues Log and reviews with the Director and other Management staff to secure needed assistance in resolving issues and to promote accountability.
- Attends and actively participates in any training or education, which relates to their position and would contribute to their knowledge.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business required; Master’s Degree Preferred
- Demonstrated ability to interpret, analyze, develop, direct and implement action to comply with proposed or final Medicare regulations
- Four years of experience in Hospital Revenue Cycle environment
- Demonstrated advanced PC skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of Hospital Charging procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of Medicare coding rules and regulations
- Demonstrated knowledge and history of compliance with payor audits
- Ability to communicate clearly and use good judgement
- Ability to work under stress with frequent interruptions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with patient and employee information
Click here to apply.