Sage Therapeutics is searching for a resourceful, problem solving, and integrative thinker for a highly visible role that is responsible for the development, implementation, and oversight of the company’s compliance program. The Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer will partner with the Sage leadership team to ensure compliance with applicable laws and industry requirements. This position will also proactively identify compliance-related gaps or issues and advise the leadership team on how to mitigate potential risks.
The successful candidate will collaborate with business colleagues to develop, implement, and maintain the Compliance Program for the company, to include implementing written policies and procedures, leading effective training programs, conducting internal monitoring and auditing, and directing investigations to respond promptly to detected offenses and undertake corrective actions.
This person will work closely and cross-functionally with operating units throughout our organization to lead and support compliance initiatives, and to raise the level of awareness of compliance within our organization.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the planning, development, and oversite of the company’s Compliance Program
- Understand the applicable laws, regulations, industry standards, and related compliance issues in order to structure policy and procedures to address these areas;
- Monitor and report results of the compliance efforts and provide guidance for senior leadership on matters relating to compliance
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provide general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in Legal, HR, Finance and the Leadership Team in order to direct compliance issues through the appropriate channels for investigation and resolution as well as work towards future improvements as the Compliance Program evolves
- In conjunction with the Leadership Team and the rest of the organization champion a corporate culture in which employees view compliance as aligned with Sage’s core values, and is regarded as a key objective in business decisions and process development
- Management and oversight of auditing and monitoring compliance programs
- Coordinating and managing investigations regarding legal and/or compliance non-conformance, including working directly with outside counsel (in coordination with Audit Committee and General Counsel, if appropriate)
- Monitor compliance trends and changes in all relevant jurisdictions
- Promote understanding of key compliance by translating requirements into business activities
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced, innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, good conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans, programs and recommendations. Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action; excellent analytical skills and an ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Advanced degree required, Law degree required
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience as a senior compliance officer in a biotech/pharma organization, to include demonstrated leadership in compliance.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of applicable regulatory and compliance requirements for biotech/pharmaceutical company, compliance risk management practices and methodologies, including risk assessment, monitoring/surveillance, and testing activities.
- Strong understanding of compliance processes and activities common to biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Strong project management skills, to include managing and prioritizing multiple concurrent projects, budgeting for the compliance function, and reporting progress and risks to colleagues and senior management.
- Experience in conducting investigations and managing the entire investigations process, including the management and tracking of the investigation lifecycle and the close-out process.
- Experience in the development, initiation, maintenance, and revision of policies and procedures for the general operation of a Compliance Program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
- Strong relationship management skills ability to build and maintain productive relationships with leaders of other functional areas within and across the business areas to seek alignment on objectives for the benefit of Sage
- Should have demonstrated experience working with other compliance professionals, senior business leaders, attorneys, law enforcement professionals, and regulators.
- Strong team player who is solution oriented.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Embrace our core values
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Sage
Click here to apply.Corporate Compliance Insights is a wholly owned subsidiary of Conselium Executive Search, the global leader in compliance search.