The Santander Consumer USA (SCUSA) Consumer Compliance program provides oversight and establishes the framework for enterprise-wide consumer compliance activities, thereby cross-functionally driving consistency and standards throughout SCUSA. The Consumer Compliance program supports implementation of compliance activities throughout SCUSA in line with SCUSA compliance policy standards and local and federal regulatory requirements. As a member of the SCUSA Consumer Compliance team, and a direct report of the Chief Compliance Officer, the Director of Consumer Compliance will be responsible for providing assurance to the VP that divisions (Business Units) throughout SCUSA are consistently applying best-practice consumer compliance policies, standards and procedures.
The Director of Consumer Compliance shall be responsible for the daily management of Compliance Manager(s) and Compliance Associates and processes. The Director will oversee compliance within applicable international, federal and state laws related to the finance industry.
- Responsible for interacting with and overseeing exams by federal and state examiners and regulators, including settlements, exam responses, hearing requests and essential compliance/policy changes to ensure such compliance is properly instituted so as to minimize future exceptions.
- Manage and oversee the process of documenting and disseminating legal, regulatory and corporate policy requirements to department heads on a broad spectrum of topics including, but not limited to:
- FCRA and FACTA
- Identity Theft
- Global Privacy
- ECOA (Reg B)
- TILA (Reg Z)
- FTC Credit Rules
- Assist in developing policies with appropriate testing to ensure compliance across all Business Units.
- Identify and document gaps and corrective action plans where applicable to assist Business Units with departmental and consumer compliance efforts.
- Work with Business Units to ensure accurate and timely implementation of corrective actions plans.
- Develop and deliver supplemental compliance training materials as needed.
- Engage in regular meetings to develop and improve organizational priorities as needed.
- Responsible for the various compliance functions, reporting to the VP of Consumer Compliance.
- Driving the local adoption, implementation and maintenance of the SCUSA Consumer Compliance Framework thereby supporting the Business Units through implementation of best-practice compliance, strategies, standards and regulatory requirements.
- Proactively identifying, tracking and analyzing consumer compliance within SCUSA.
- Project managing of SCUSA Consumer Compliance initiatives throughout the Business Units and working with teams to address project management of key regional issues and action plans.
- Overseeing tracking and reporting issues to ensure effective remediation of Consumer Compliance related matters for SCUSA and SCUSA’s respective Business Units.
- Representing team interests at internal meetings, committees and working groups and external functions as needed, including coordinating and/or contributing to SCUSA reporting to external parties and regulators.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of a team of compliance manager(s), associates, including performance management, time and attendance, etc.
- Special projects as requested
- Performs other duties as assigned
Desired Skills & Experience
- BA/BS Degree required; MBA and bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Eight (8) to ten (10) years experience working in legal, compliance, audit or other governance functions within a large commercial and/or investment bank or in a regulatory agency, with working knowledge of consumer and commercial banking and/or capital markets products; auto-finance experience preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years of leadership and management experience.
- Excellent understanding of financial services regulatory requirements and current regulatory developments (e.g. CFPB).
- Ability to request and/or collect relevant information, identify potential exposures/gaps, summarize conclusions, construct recommendations, present recommendations, collaborate and evaluate control results.
- Experience in, and ability to, execute an enterprise-wide compliance reporting program and effectively communicate and drive change.
- Masterful competence of MS Office; Excel, PowerPoint and Word is essential.
- Strong leadership/managerial skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to foster a collaborative working relationship with multiple functional areas, operational areas, and complex business lines.
- Proven ability to build network quickly, influence others, and effectively address audiences of all levels.
- Ability to travel to multiple facilities as dictated by business needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, while working closely and building trust with senior management.
- Must have excellent organizational, project management, and problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Extended working hours may be required as dictated by management and business needs.
- May be required to lift, push, or pull materials weighing up to twenty (20) pounds.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by your supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Santander Consumer USA Inc. (SC USA) is one of the fastest-growing companies in the automotive finance sector. With its Drive®, RoadLoans and Santander Auto Finance brands, SC USA is a leading provider of finance programs that cover the entire non-prime spectrum. The company began originating loans in 1997, and is headquartered in Dallas, with offices in North Richland Hills, TX. We are owned by Banco Santander (NYSE: SAN), a leading global bank with 66 million customers. Associates who work for SC USA are provided with a comprehensive benefits package, including a Medical PPO, Dental and Vision plans, 401(k) with 100% matching up to 6%! Also, Paid Time Off, paid holidays, Life/LTD/STD Insurance as well as numerous voluntary products such as Medical and Dependent Care FSA, and more! SC USA is an equal opportunity employer.