8:10 am -- May 21, 20184:40 pm -- April 26, 20186:00 am -- April 26, 20182:24 pm -- April 25, 2018
Michael Volkov is the CEO of The Volkov Law Group LLC, where he provides compliance, internal investigation and white collar defense services. He can be reached at email@example.com. His practice focuses on white collar defense, corporate compliance, internal investigations, and regulatory enforcement matters. He is a former federal prosecutor with almost 30 years of experience in a variety of government positions and private practice.
Michael maintains a well-known blog: Corruption Crime & Compliance which is frequently cited by anti-corruption professionals and professionals in the compliance industry.Michael has extensive experience representing clients on matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the UK Bribery Act, money laundering, Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), export controls, sanctions and International Traffic in Arms, False Claims Act, Congressional investigations, online gambling and regulatory enforcement issues.
Michael has assisted clients with design and implementation of compliance programs to reduce risk and respond to global and US enforcement programs.
Michael has built a strong reputation for his practical and comprehensive compliance strategies.Michael served for more than 17 years as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the District of Columbia; for 5 years as the Chief Crime and Terrorism Counsel for the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Chief Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security Counsel for the Senate and House Judiciary Committees; and as a Trial Attorney in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
Michael also has extensive trial experience and has been lead attorney in more than 75 jury trials, including some lasting more than six months. His clients have included corporations, officers, directors and professionals in, internal investigations and criminal and civil trials. He has handled a number of high-profile criminal cases involving a wide‐range of issues, including the FCPA and compliance matters, environmental crimes, and antitrust cartel investigations in countries all around the world.
- Successfully represented three officers of a multinational company in two separate criminal antitrust investigations involving a criminal antitrust investigation in the District of Columbia and the Southern District of New York.
- Defended pharmaceutical company before the Food and Drug Administration and Senate Finance Committee relating to application for approval of generic drug.
- Conducted internal investigation which exonerated company against allegations of false statements in submissions to the FDA and against improper conduct alleged by Senate Finance Committee.
- Represented company before the US State Department on alleged violations of ITAR which lead to voluntary disclosure and imposition of no civil or criminal penalties.
- Advised several multinational companies on compliance with anti‐corruption laws, and design and implementation of anti‐corruption and anti‐money laundering compliance programs.
- Advised hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and medical device companies on compliance issues relating to Stark law and Anti‐Kickback law and regulations.
- Conducted due diligence investigations for large multinational companies for anti‐corruption compliance of: potential third party agents, joint venture partners and acquisition targets in Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Represented individual in white collar fraud case in Alexandria, Virginia and secured dismissal of criminal charges and expungement of criminal record.
- Represented company before Congress and Executive Branch in effort to modify Justice Department regulations concerning use of federal funds.
- Advised and assisted World Bank in review of global corruption policies, enforcement programs and corruption investigations and prosecutions.
Posted by Michael Volkov - March 9, 2017
The foundation of an ethical culture is trust and integrity. Employees are proud to work for organizations that prize trust and integrity. When senior leaders act in ways that are…Read More
Posted by Michael Volkov - February 24, 2017
The Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission were especially aggressive this year in bringing FCPA enforcement actions. There were several major enforcement actions brought last year, and each…Read More
Posted by Michael Volkov - February 7, 2017
Rolls-Royce Settlement Highlights Risks for Businesses Rolls-Royce recently completed a deferred prosecution agreement following a four-year investigation into bribery and corruption by the U.K. Serious Fraud Office. This is the…Read More
Posted by Michael Volkov - January 18, 2017
What the New Era Means for Compliance Want to know what the government’s priorities are? One telltale sign is resource allocation. In 2016, the DOJ allocated more resources to the…Read More
Posted by Michael Volkov - January 6, 2017
Chief Compliance Officers come up against some formidable challenges. Without robust attorney-client privilege, unearthing compliance violations in the course of internal investigations could be one of them. Herein lies the…Read More
Posted by Michael Volkov - November 11, 2016
It can be instructive to pore over past corporate scandals and infamous ethical lapses, but the more productive course of action is building and maintaining a strong culture of ethics…Read More
Posted by Michael Volkov - October 24, 2016
Many companies these days are implementing automated due diligence systems, and it’s no wonder why: the government’s expectations in terms of third-party risk management are on the rise. Unresolved red…Read More
Posted by Michael Volkov - October 10, 2016
GlaxoSmithKline’s indiscretions in China have resulted in a $20 million FCPA settlement and jail time for several guilty parties, including a former GSK executive. The company’s expansive fraudulent scheme involved…Read More